Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Effective step for encouraging scientific research among youngsters.
Fellowship for innovative research projects
- The Centre has firmed up the criteria for the procedure for selection of 2,000 research students from 23 Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- They will be eligible for fellowship of Rs. 70,000 a month for innovative research projects
- However, those who get the scholarships will have to refund the amounts if the project does not come to completion
- It is part of the research fellowship scheme of the Prime Minister
- This is expected to give a boost to quality research and innovation
Fruitfulness of the Scheme
- The scheme will offer an incentive to bright researchers who move towards corporate jobs for financial reasons to dedicate themselves to research and innovation
- They will not be permitted to take up a job during the term of the fellowship