Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Union List, State List and Concurrent List
Mains level: Education is an important part of UPSC syllabus. Any reform related to it, is important.
Advice from the HRD Ministry
- The HRD Ministry has advised all states and Union territories to have at least one government-run English-medium school in each block
- There are a total of 6,612 blocks in the country.
- Why Advice and not order: Because establishment of schools is a matter of state policy
Other advice from ministry
- Ministry also suggests English should be taught as a compulsory subject from Class VI
Why this decision?
- The number of students enrolling in English–medium schools has doubled from 1.5 crore in 2008-09 to 2.9 crore in 2013-14
- As a consequence, more states have started offering the option of English as a medium of instruction in government schools