Mains Paper 1: Social Issues | Salient features of Indian Society
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: How does cow vigilantism affect Indian society ? What are the measures needed prevent this?
- Taking serious note of violence in the name of saving cows, the Supreme Court passed a slew of measures and asked states to appoint a senior police officer in every district as a nodal officer.
What SC Order says?
- SC said that states were under obligation to compensate victims of violence by cow vigilante groups even without any judicial order
- Law and order has to have primacy and anyone violating it must be dealt with sternly
- States must frame schemes to compensate victims of crime, including those of cow vigilantism as envisaged by the Code of Criminal Procedure.
- It also asked states and Union Territories to comply with its September 6 order to appoint nodal officers by October 31 to deal with cow vigilantism.
- States has to appoint a senior police officer in every district as a nodal officer.
- The senior police officer shall take prompt action and will ensure vigilante groups and such people are prosecuted with promptitude
- Nodal officers have to ensure that cow vigilantes did not become a law unto themselves.