Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
Mains level: Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana – Objectives, challenges and Way forward
- Out of a total 30.67 lakh candidates who had been trained, under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), less than a tenth — 9 lakh candidates — had received placement offers.
What could be the possible reasons?
- Jobs are not simply a function of the country’s workforce acquiring formal skills making them employable.
- More fundamental to job creation is a vibrant economy, in which investment and consumption fuel demand for labour, skilled and unskilled.
- Today’s crisis is not one of employability, but of investment and economic activity leading to shrinking job opportunities
- The government’s focus should be on providing decent education.
- That would mean ensuring minimum standards in schools, colleges, polytechnics and industrial training institutes (ITI).
- NGO Pratham’s Annual State of Education Report for 2016 reveals that just over 43 per cent of class VIII students in rural government schools can solve three-digit by one-digit division problems and only 45 per cent are able to read simple sentences in English.
- The government must concentrate on basic education, labour reforms and improving the ease of doing business.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana