Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Nathu La pass, Rivers- Brahmaputra and Sutlej
Mains level: India-China relations
Reopening of Nathu La
- China on Tuesday indicated that it is ready to continue communication with India over reopening Nathu La in Sikkim to facilitate the Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage
- The route was closed in June following tension over the Doklam standoff.
- According to the agreement reached between the two leaders and based on the fact that the western section of the India-China boundary has been recognised by the two sides, China opened the pass to the Indian pilgrims
- The Sikkim route to Mansarovar was opened in 2015
- In August, the Ministry of External Affairs had stated that India had not received hydrological data from China this year
- Regarding sharing hydrological data with India on the Brahmaputra and Sutlej rivers, China said that it was not possible as data stations in Tibet were being upgraded.
- Under a bilateral mechanism established in 2006, China is expected to share hydrological data on the two rivers during the flood season between May 15 and June 15.
- China will start providing data again depending on the progress of the ongoing work
- The hydrological data is used to anticipate the flow of water from the upper riparian states into India and Bangladesh and deal with flooding.
- China has been building major dams on the Brahmaputra river to generate hydel power. It operationalised Zangmu hydroelectric project in October 2015 and three more are under construction.