What is IDF-OI?
- A not-for-profit Trust set-up by the Government of India
- To facilitate philanthropic contributions by Overseas Indians to social and development projects in India
- IDF-OI is chaired by External Affairs Minister
- IDF-OI is promoting flagship programmes of Government of India-
- Swachh Bharat Mission, National Mission for Clean Ganga, and projects identified by the State Govts, for funding by Overseas Indians
- Working with State Governments in areas such as sanitation; education; drinking water; women’s empowerment etc.
Funding by Overseas Indians:
- IDF-OI is offering projects for funding by Overseas Indians
- Overseas Indians can contribute as an individual, or a group of individuals or even through their respective Indian Associations
Note how the government is trying to benefit from the Indian diaspora. A question on Diaspora is possible in Mains, it is also a topic for Essay.