The program is an important step to empower women. Takeaways:
- For Prelims, remember the objectives of the program.
- Also read about the Target Group, to understand about the program and its relevance.This scheme could be used as a example while writing answers on women empowerment related Question
- The Maternity Benefit Program will provide compensation for the wage loss in terms of cash incentives
- The women can take adequate rest before and after delivery and not be deprived of proper nutrition
Objective of the Scheme:
- To provide partial compensation for the wage loss in terms of cash incentives so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first living child
- The cash incentives provided would lead to improved health seeking behaviour amongst the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mother (PW&LM) to reduce the effects of under-nutrition namely stunting, wasting and other related problems
- All eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM)
- It excludes the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers who are in regular employment with the Central Government or State Government or PSUs or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law for the time being.
Cash entitlement under the scheme
- It has been decided to give the benefit of Rs.5000/- to PW&LM in three installment for the birth of the first live child by MWCD
- Remaining cash incentive as per approved norms towards Maternity Benefit under existing programmes after institutional delivery so that on an average, a woman will get ₹ 6000/-