Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, following things are important:
Prelims level: Remember the factual points for Prelims like Stem cell ,pluripotent etc.. UPSC tests on these points
Mains level: This innovation could potentially augment the blood supply for patients who need transfusions.
- Scientists have generated blood-forming stem cells in the lab which gives hopes of creating a limitless supply of human blood
Advantages of the new method:
- Researchers made use of Pluripotent stem cell. What are they and what’s the advantage?
- Pluripotent stem cells are master cells.
- They’re able to make cells from all three basic body layers, so they can potentially produce any cell or tissue the body needs to repair itself. This “master” property is called pluripotency.
- It may help create immune-matched blood cells, derived from patients’ cells, for treatment purposes
A hope of resolving genetic disorders:
- This step opens up an opportunity to take cells from patients with genetic blood disorders, use gene editing to correct their genetic defect, and make functional blood cells
- This will also give the potential to have a limitless supply of blood stem cells and blood by taking cells from universal donors
- This could potentially augment the blood supply for patients who need transfusions.