It is to keep the European project alive and to find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia.
What does it mean to Paris?
Barbaric attack on innocent citizens in Paris is meant to simultaneously be an act of psychological terror, geopolitical strategy and ideological proclamation.
Why European economic project is under strain?
- Challenge is not just possibility of a rightwing backlash against immigrants.
- It is the sense of cultural pessimism that precedes it, the kind reflected with a vastly exaggerated sense in the current toast of Paris.
Which are two larger challenges in West Asia?
- The Islamic State (IS) is clearly playing a geostrategic game, it has expanded the theatre of war to everyone who is targeting it, from Russia to Beirut to Paris.
- It is counting on the fact that the disarray and contradictions among the objectives of the major powers will continue.
- The nihilistic act of terror is also an instrument for specific territorial goals.
Will the expanding war draw in more recruits?
- Nature of modern war has been such that it is largely civilians who have been at the front and centre.
- It is said that Islam requires a reformation, but it was deeply fundamentalist.
- Crisis and fragmentation of authority, has been underway in Islam for some time.
- But, virtually no political space in West Asia for these movements to play out.
- The real debate is what political project can enlist the energies of young people.
- Only choices seem authoritarianism or fundamentalism, neither of which has a credible economic narrative. Or else, the cycle of permanent anxiety and endless war appears to be imminent.