- The Union Home Ministry informed a parliamentary panel earlier this week that it couldn’t get qualified IT professionals to fill 35 posts in the National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID)
- Reason: These posts were not filled because of the non-availability of qualified professionals for various posts in the organisation
- The panel has asked the Ministry to “re-publicise the posts” and “offer remuneration commensurate with that of the private sector to attract the most qualified professionals”
- Background: In July 2016, the NDA government appointed Ashok Patnaik, a serving officer of the Intelligence Bureau, as the CEO of the NATGRID
- The post had been lying vacant after the former CEO Raghu Raman’s contract expired in April 2014
- The government refused to renew his contract following an adverse intelligence report.