From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Utkarsh Bangla, Sabooj Sathi Schemes
Mains level : Not Much
- Two schemes of the West Bengal government for skill development and distribution of bi-cycles to students have won the prestigious World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) awards of the United Nations.
- The schemes are “Utkarsh Bangla” and “Sabooj Sathi”.
- The WB government had received another UN award in 2017 for its ‘Kanyashree’ project, a targeted conditional cash transfer scheme aimed at promoting education among girls.
- The “Utkarsh Bangla” project aims at creating a pool of skilled candidates who are industry ready.
- It is meant especially for school dropouts.
- Out of 1062 nominations in 18 categories, Utkarsh Bangla got the topmost award and emerged a winner in Capacity Building category.
- Sabooj Sathi is a scheme for distribution of bi-cycles to estimated 40 lakh students of class IX to XII studying in Govt. run and Govt. aided Schools and Madrashas.
- The scheme was launched in September 2015.
- WSIS Prizes is an international contest to create an effective mechanism to evaluate and recognise individuals, governments and private bodies for outstanding success in implementing development oriented strategies that leverage the power of ICTs as an enabler of the development.
- The contest, organised by the WSIS in Geneva, was first held in 2012.