Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: 2+2 Dialogue
Mains level: India-US defence relations and its impact on India’s traditional partners.
First 2+2 Dialogue
- The first U.S.-India 2+2 dialogues next week in New Delhi will discuss regional and strategic issues of Asia.
- S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defense James Mattis will be travelling to India for the dialogue, which has been postponed twice.
Ties with Russia at stake
- US is mindful of India’s legacy ties with Russia, but does not appreciate its continuing defence cooperation with it.
- It is not sure of granting a waiver to India from sanctions if it went ahead with the planned purchase of S-400 missile defence system from Russia.
- However the dialogue is meant to enhance defence requirements and alternatives for India
Focussed at countering China
- S. administration is expecting concrete outcomes such as concluding an enabling agreement on communication and expanding the scope of military exercises.
- It aims at operationalising India-U.S. partnership in Asia under the agenda.
- S. reiterated that its Asia Pacific policy is an inclusive strategy.
- Considering the OBOR and militarisation of the South China Sea, US emphasizes to have an alternative for economic and strategic partnership with agenda under the agenda.