Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: 70 Point Grading Index
Mains level: Schooling Reforms
- A 70 Point Grading Index for assessing schooling systems across states, four year integrated BEd to train teachers for Std. 1 to 10 and the Digital Board are three of the key missions that the government will drive to implementation before it enters the next general election cycle.
70 point Performance Grading Index (PGI)
- The government will use a 70 point Performance Grading Index (PGI) to assess areas of deficiency in each state’s school education system.
- The 70 indicators will grade state schooling systems on areas like number of existing teacher vacancies, number of direct entry recruitments especially at leadership positions, school infrastructure etc.
- The Index will assess states on a 1,000 point grading system with 10-20 points per parameter- is aimed at helping states understand where they may be lagging behind.
- It will thus prioritize areas for intervention to ensure that the school education system is robust at every level.
- The NITI Aayog which was earlier developing its own School Education Quality Index, will be using 33 of the 70 criteria under the PGI for their own assessments.
Why such move?
- The move is in keeping with the government’s overall thrust on quality improvement, teacher training and learning outputs.
Enhanced training of Teachers
- The HRD ministry is also readying plans to launch a four year integrated Bachleors in Education (Bed) course next year.
- This will be an integrated course to prepare teachers holistically for teaching from Class 1 to Class 10 level.
- This course will have a strong focus on internship and be launched with teacher training institutes under Central Universities and state universities besides private institutes that opt to go for it.
- The idea is as much to create a pool of well equipped teachers for the schooling system as to create a parity between teachers of all grades.
- The course structure will ensure modern pedagogical tools, e-learning material and global best practices.
- NCERT is helping the HRD ministry set up a Central institute of Assessment to strengthen Continuous and Comprehensive Education/.
- It will handhold states in ensuring customized teacher training and work on pedagogical improvements.
- The Mission to equip every school with a Digital Board is also on full throttle to reach e learning material in various languages to schools.