Mains Paper 2 : Civil Service |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Various appointments
Mains level : Lateral entry scheme
- The government has selected nine professionals, largely from the private sector, as joint secretaries in various departments, signalling a major shift in the entry of professionals in shaping policies.
- This is perhaps the first time that a large of group of experts with domain knowledge will enter the government through the lateral-entry process.
Appointment as Joint Secys
- So far, the joint secretary-level officers are largely drawn from the pool of people who clear the civil services examination conducted by the UPSC.
- To ensure the same standards, the entire process of the selection of these experts was conducted by the UPSC.
They will join their respective departments on a “contract basis”.
Not for the first time
- Earlier, some experts had joined the government through the lateral-entry route in ministries such as finance, power and sanitation.
- The list of professionals included those like Manmohan Singh, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Bimal Jalan, Vijay Kelkar (former petroleum and finance secretary), R V Shahi (former power secretary), apart from Parameswaran Iyer, who is currently sanitation secretary, and Rajesh Kotecha, who heads the Ayush ministry.
Assist this newscard with: