- There is a perception that many juveniles are committing violent crimes. A close look at the facts reveal a different picture.
- According to government crime statistics, less than 5% of the rape cases were reported against the 16-18 year age group.
- Some people have spoken in support of the proposed Bill on the ground that the seriousness of the crime reflects the mental maturity of the juvenile.
- But the neuroscientists have found that the prefrontal lobe in the human brain (responsible for discernable judgements) is fully developed only by ~25 years.
- Almost 80% of juveniles accused of crimes belong to families having an annual income of less than Rs. 50,000.
- Even countries such as the U.S. and U.K., which introduced the judicial waiver system, have now accepted that they have been ineffective in addressing juvenile crime rate, public safety and recidivism.
Posted on | The Hindu