Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Prelims level: Nikshay Aushadi Portal, Global TB Report 2017, etc.
Mains level: Findings of the national anti TB drug resistant survey report
The national anti TB drug resistant survey report
- The survey was done between 2014 and 2016 by ministry of health and family welfare
- According to the report, more than a quarter of Tuberculosis (TB) patients in India have drug resistance to one or the other anti-TB drug
- The health ministry has claimed that this is the largest ever national drug resistance survey conducted by any country in the world
- And the first ever survey having Drug Susceptibility Testing (DST) for 13 anti-TB drugs using the automated liquid culture system, mycobacteria (causing TB) growth indicator tube (MGIT) 960®
Other findings of the report
- The results of the survey released on the World TB day showed that MDR-TB is 6.19% among all TB patients with 2.84% among new and 11.60% among previously treated TB patients
- Around 54% patients resistant to these drugs do not successfully complete treatment and death rates stand at 20%
The Nikshay Aushadi Portal
- The Union health ministry has recently launched the Nikshay Aushadi Portal and shorter regimen for Drug Resistant TB
The Global TB Report 2017
- It was published by World Health Organization (WHO)
- It estimates that India contributes 27% (2.79 million) and 25% (147 000) of the global burden of TB and MDR-TB, respectively