- Context: World body says the unique identification programme has “tremendous potential” for fostering inclusion
- These are the words from – 2016 Report on the World Social Situation, released by the U.N. Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- The theme of this year’s report is ‘Leaving No One Behind — The Imperative of Inclusive Development.’
- Fair and robust systems of legal identity and birth registration are recognised in the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as an important foundation for promoting inclusive societies
- Some 40 per cent of the world’s population does not have access to education in a language they understand.
- Children of ethnic minorities and those who are disabled are much less likely to finish their primary and secondary educations
- The Sustainable Development Goals recognise that development will only be sustainable if it is inclusive
- In order to promote social inclusion, barriers to participation must be broken down by revising laws, policies, institutional practices
Make a note of the report + its theme. Note down the points/ observations made by the report. Questions on SDG can use these points and your answers will get more credibility if you cite the report as well. A UN body recognising Aadhar in a world report is a big thing.