Mains Paper 2: Governance | Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the RGI
Mains level: Effective step for reducing fraud in death certificates. Also, it shows greater trust of government on Aadhar.
Why this decision?
- The use of Aadhaar for the applicants of Death Certificate will result in ensuring accuracy of the details provided by the relatives of the deceased
- This will obviate the need for producing multiple documents to prove the identity of the deceased person
- It will provide an effective method to prevent identity fraud
- It will also help in recording the identity of the deceased person
- The notification for the same is issued by the Registrar General of India (RGI), Ministry of Home Affairs
Warning by Government
- Any false declaration given by the applicant in this regard will be treated as an offence under the Aadhaar Act, 2016 and Registration of Birth and Death Act, 1969