Mains Paper 2:IR| Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Chabahar Port
Mains level: Significance of Chabahar Port for India
- Afghanistan began exports to India through the Chabahar as the landlocked, war-torn nation turns to overseas markets to improve its economy.
Afghan Exports to India
- 23 trucks carrying 57 tonnes of dried fruits, textiles, carpets and mineral products were dispatched from western Afghan city of Zaranj to Iran’s Chabahar port.
- The consignment will be shipped to the Indian city of Mumbai.
- The Iranian port provides easy access to the sea to Afghanistan and India has helped developed this route to allow both countries to engage in trade bypassing Pakistan.
Afghanistan, a new trade partner
- India has sent 1.1 million tonnes of wheat and 2,000 tonnes of lentils to Afghanistan through Chabahar.
- Both countries established an air corridor in 2017.
- Afghan exports to India stood at $740 million in 2018, making it the largest export destination.
To read more about Chabahar Port, navigate to the page: