Mains Paper 1 : Social Empowerment |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UNESCAP
Mains level : Attainment of SDGs
Ambitions Beyond Growth Report
- It is a annual report published by UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP).
- A comprehensive assessment of the investment needed to reach the SDGs in the region by 2030 estimates an additional $1.5 trillion per year.
- These “ambitions beyond growth” are largely affordable for most countries in the region, given available public and private resources.
- Strong development partnerships and regional cooperation are essential to ensure that all countries complete this important journey.
- Closing this investment gap is within reach for many countries, but the gap is widest in countries which can least afford to narrow it
- The report says that significant savings could be achieved through greater emphasis on education quality and outcomes.
- The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is the regional development arm of the United Nations for the Asia-Pacific region.
- It is established in 1947 with its headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Parent Organisation: UN ECOSOC
- India is a founding member of UNESCAP