From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Protem Speaker, Leader of the Rajya Sabha
Mains level : Appointment and Functions of the Protem Speaker
- A MP from Madhya Pradesh Virendra Kumar will be the Pro-tem Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
- Pro-tem is a Latin phrase which translates to for the time being in English and so the Pro-tem Speaker is a temporary speaker appointed for a limited period of time.
- Pro-tem speaker is chosen for the conduct of the house when the Lok Sabha and Legislative Assemblies have been elected and the vote for the speaker and deputy speaker has not taken place.
- The Pro-tem Speaker presides over the first sitting of the Lok Sabha, administer the oath of office to the newly elected MPs, and oversee the election of the Speaker.
- Once the new Speaker is elected, the office of the pro tem speaker ceases to exist. He also administers the floor test.
- After a general election and the formation of a new government, a list of senior Lok Sabha members prepared by the Legislative Section is submitted to the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, who selects a pro tem speaker.
- The appointment has to be approved by the President.
- The first meeting after the election when the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker are selected by members of the Parliament is held under the pro tem Speaker.
Leader of Rajya Sabha
- Besides the Chairman (Vice-President of India) and the Deputy Chairman, there is also a position called Leader of the House.
- This is a cabinet minister – the Prime Minister if he is a member of the House, or another nominated Minister.
- The Leader has a seat next to the Chairman, in the front row.