Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies & fora, their structure, mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: International Solar Alliance
Mains level: India’s initiatives for transition towards Renewable Energy
- Argentina has become the 72nd country to sign the Framework Agreement of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Countries which have recently signed the agreement until now include India, France, Australia, UAE, UK, Japan amongst others.
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India.
- The agreement was opened for signature during the COP22 at Marrakech on November 15, 2016.
- The organisation aims to deploy over 1,000 gigawatt of solar energy and mobilise more than USD 1,000 billion into solar power by 2030.
- With India–Argentina trade just touching $ 3 billion in the last ten years, leaders of both sides agree to increase their cooperation further to improve economic relations.
- They are celebrating the 70th year of the establishment of diplomatic ties between.
- Both agreed on cooperation in the agriculture sector, trade and investments, defence, Lithium Mining and Space.