Mains Paper 3 : Achievements Of Indians In S&T |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Dhanush artillery gun
Mains level : Indigenization of defense equipment in India
- The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has handed over the first batch of six Dhanush artillery guns to the Army.
Dhanush artillery guns
- Dhanush is the indigenously upgraded version of the Swedish Bofors gun procured in the 1980s.
- Dhanush is a 155 mm, 45-calibre towed artillery gun with a range of 36 km and has demonstrated a range of 38 km with specialised ammunition.
- It is an upgrade of the existing 155m, 39 calibre Bofors FH 77 gun.
- It is compatible with all North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) 155 mm ammunition system.
- Indigenization to the extent of about 81%, has already been achieved. By the end of 2019, the indigenization level of the gun will go up to 91%.
- The gun is fitted with inertial navigation system with GPS based gun recording and auto-laying.
- It has an enhanced tactical computer for onboard ballistic computations, an onboard muzzle velocity recording, an automated gun sighting system equipped with camera, thermal imaging and laser range finder.