Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology | Science and Technology- indigenization of technology and developing
From UPSC perspective following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of Dhanush and Bofors Gun.
Mains level: Important as an example of ‘Make in India’ initiative in the defence sector.
- What: The first regiment of 18 Dhanush artillery guns will be inducted into the Army by the end of the year
- Dhanush is the indigenously upgraded variant of the Swedish Bofors guns
- Why is this Artillery Gun Superior? Dhanush is an upgraded version, based on the original design of the Swedish 155-mm Bofors howitzers, which India procured in the mid-1980s
- It is a 155-mm, 45-calibre gun with a maximum range of 40 km in salvo mode, compared to the 39-calibre, 27-km range of the original guns
- Background: The gun as of June 2016 has entered into active production with confirmed order of 414 guns