Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Security challenges and their management in border areas
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Vijay Prahar and Gagan Shakti.
Mains level: Aim of the exercise.
- Over 20,000 troops of the strike formations of the Army’s South Western Commandare engaged in the “Vijay Prahar” exercise near Suratgarhin Rajasthan
- The exercise is being held in the wake of the IAF testing its might in the “Gagan Shakti” exercise in the western sector of Rajasthan
- During the exercise, the formations are practising and operationalising certain concepts of operating in the (a) network-centric environment, (b) integrated employment of modern-day sensors with the weapon platforms, (c) employment of attack helicopters in the air cavalry role and (d) a bold offensive of application of the Special Forces
Aim of the exercise
- To fine-tune the Army’s jointmanship with the Indian Air Force(IAF)
- The IAF carried out the Gagan Shakti exercise and demonstrated its capabilities and strength
- In the immediate wake of Gagan Shakti, this exercise is being held for testing and refining army’s jointmanship and maximising the impact of the joint operations