From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Asian Elephant Specialist Group (AsESG)
Mains level : Elephant connservation efforts
The 10th Asian Elephant Specialist Group (AsESG) Meeting has started at Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia.
Asian Elephant Specialist Group (AsESG)
- The IUCN AsESG is a global network of specialists concerned with the study, monitoring, management, and conservation of Asian Elephants (Elephas maximus).
- The overall aim of the AsESG is to promote the long-term conservation of Asia’s elephants and, where possible, the recovery of their populations to viable levels.
- The AsESG acts as the Red List Authority for the Asian Elephant, carrying out Red List assessments for inclusion in the IUCN Red List
- Group members have also helped in the development of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) system for Monitoring the Illegal Killing of Elephants (MIKE) and The Elephant Trade Information System (ETIS).
- There are currently over 110 volunteer members from 18 countries led by the Chair Vivek Menon from India.
- All AsESG members are actively involved in some aspect of elephant conservation and/or management.
- Apart from the members, the Group also has Ex-officio officials from all Range States nominated by the Ministry looking after elephant conservation in the country.
- Membership is reviewed and reappointed approximately every four years.