Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Imposition of AFSPA is a crucial and much debated issue. Any news related to its imposition is important.
Orders for the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)
- For the first time since 1990, the Assam government issued orders declaring the State a “disturbed area”
- And imposed the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) for six months
- Such orders were earlier issued by the Union Home Ministry
- But recently, Home Ministry gave up its power and asked the State government to decide on continuing the enforcement of the AFSPA in the State
Some features of the act
- Under Section 3 of the Act, it can be invoked in places “where the use of armed forces in aid of the civil power is necessary”
- The AFSPA gives powers to the Army and Central forces deployed in “disturbed areas” to
(1) kill anyone acting in contravention of the law
(2) arrest and search any premises without a warrant
(3) provide cover to the Armed Forces from prosecution and legal suits without the Centre’s sanction