Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Wage Compensation Scheme
Mains level: The initiative seeks to address high MMR among plantation labourers of Assam.
Wage Compensation Scheme for Pregnant Women
- Assam govt. has launched the Wage Compensation Scheme for Pregnant Women in tea gardens of the state.
- Under the scheme, each pregnant woman in tea gardens will get a sum of Rs 12,000 so that she can take better care of herself and her unborn baby without compromising the livelihood of her family.
- This initiative will be able to considerably bring down the mortality rate among the pregnant women of the tea community of the state.
- The high Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) among pregnant women in the tea garden areas due to anaemia and other diseases has been a major cause of concern.
- The pregnant women labourers in the tea gardens have to work through their pregnancy till the time of delivery due to crop cycle.
- All temporary, permanent or non-workers living within the tea garden areas will be eligible for the scheme.
Compensation Plans under the scheme
- As per the scheme, the first installment of Rs 2,000 will be provided during the Ante-Natal Check-up (ANC) registration within the first trimester.
- Second installment of Rs 4000 will be credited during the sixth month of the pregnancy and the third installment of Rs 3000 during delivery at a government-approved health institution.
- The fourth installment of Rs 3,000 will be credited during the sixth week post-delivery.
- Those who did not get Rs 2,500 which was deposited to eight lakh newly opened bank accounts in the tea garden areas will receive Rs 5,000 in December.
- Another Rs 2,500 will also be given to those who received a similar amount earlier.