Mains Paper 2 : Governance, Transparency & Accountability, Citizens Charters |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the programme
Mains level : Ensuring effective governance in J&K
- The Jammu and Kashmir state government has launched its ambitious outreach programme, ‘Back to the Village’.
Back to the Village
- As part of the program, bureaucrats will spend the next 36 hours in different panchayats, gathering feedback from people on development of their areas.
- The eight-day programme is being organised across all Panchayats of the state.
- Under the ‘Back to the Village’ programme, government officers will be spending two days and one night in different panchayats.
- During their stay, they will hold meetings with elected ‘panches’ and ‘sarpanches’, hold ‘gram’ (village) and ‘mahila sabhas’ (women assemblies) in addition to other grassroots level interactions.
- The programme will involve the people of the state and government officials in a joint effort to deliver the mission of equitable development across all our rural areas.
- The feedback obtained during the exercise will help the government in assessing and subsequently tailoring the various central and state government schemes to improve delivery of village-specific services.
Objectives of the programme
- The outreach initiative is primarily aimed at energizing the 4,483 panchayats and directing development efforts in rural areas through community participation and to create in the rural masses an earnest desire for a decent standard of living.
- The basic objective of this programme is to move governance from its seat of operation to the doorsteps of the people in villages.
- It will focus on four main goals viz. energising panchayats, collecting feedback on delivery of government schemes and programmes, capturing specific economic potential and undertaking assessment of needs of villages, besides affording an opportunity to gazetted officers to visit the villages.