Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: AAD
Mains level: India’s missile arsenal
AAD test successful
- DRDO has conducted the successful test of the Ballistic Missile Interceptor Advanced Area Defence (AAD) from Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
- The endo-atmospheric missile, capable of intercepting incoming targets at an altitude of 15 to 25 kms was launched against multiple simulated targets of 1500 km class ballistic missile.
- One target among simultaneously incoming multiple targets was selected on real-time, the weapon system radars tracked the target and the missile locked on to it and intercepted the target with a high degree of accuracy.
- The complete event including the engagement and interception was tracked by a number of electro-optical tracking systems, radars and telemetry stations.
Advanced Area Defence (AAD)
- AAD is an anti-ballistic missile designed to intercept incoming ballistic missiles in the endo-atmosphere at an altitude of 30 km (19 mi)
- AAD is a single-stage, solid-fuelled missile.
- Guidance is provided by an inertial navigation system.