The state has made global headlines with reports of ‘starvation deaths’ in the gardens in North Bengal.
- The state, which has in its fold the famed Darjeeling brand, has since last year, made international headlines with reports of ‘starvation deaths’ in the gardens in North Bengal.
- Talks with a cross-section of the industry revealed, that the minister has accepted the need to examine Plantation Labour Act.
- The possibility of asking workers to accept a minimum wage structure that encompasses the benefits now being extended, to the workers under the PLA.
- As per latest statistics between Jan and Oct 2015 production in West Bengal is lower at 274 million kgs compared to a year ago figure.
- The issue of high-costs is plaguing the organised industry throughout the tea producing regions in Assam, West Bengal and the South.