From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : BBIN Initiative
Mains level : Importance of regional connectivity for India and its neighborhood
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Nepal (BBIN) signed a Motor Vehicles Agreement for the Regulation of Passenger, Personal and Cargo Vehicular Traffic.
- Aside from facilitating the cross-border movement of passengers and goods, the agreement is expected to “promote safe, economical efficient and environmentally sound road transport in the sub-region
- It will help to create “an institutional mechanism for regional integration.”
- It may increase trade within the South Asia region by nearly 60% and trade by the region with outside partners by more than 30% over current levels.
- But nearly two years after ministers from Bhutan, Bangladesh, India and Nepal signed the BBIN MVA in Thimphu; the Bhutanese government withdrew from the agreement followed Bhutan’s domestic resistance to ratify the agreement.
Why in news again?
- The Bhutan government will place the bill for ratification of Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) initiative for road and rail connectivity at its upper senate.
- The Motor Vehicle Agreement of BBIN countries was signed in 2015 by the four member countries.
- Bangladesh, India and Nepal have implemented the agreement but Bhutan is yet to accord its ratification of the agreement.
For additional readings on BBIN Initiative, navigate to: