Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | indigenization of technology and developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BrahMos missile
Mains level: Read the attached story
BrahMos passes extreme weather test
- The supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was successfully test-fired under extreme weather conditions, as part of the service life extension programme for the Army.
- The missile followed the designated trajectory and the key components functioned perfectly.
- BrahMos has again proved its all-weather capability, flying in sea state 7, with waves as high as nine meters. (Sea state is the degree of turbulence at sea, generally measured on a scale of 0 to 9 according to average wave height).
- BrahMos is a joint collaboration between India and Russia and is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against the surface and sea-based targets
- It has a strike range of around 290 km and is described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile.
- The range of the supersonic missile was initially capped at 290 km as per the obligations of the Missile Technology Control Regime
- Since India’s entry into the club, the range has been extended to 450 km and the plan is to hit 600km.
- The Army and the Navy have already inducted the missile, while the air-launched variant is undergoing trials.