‘Agriculture sector is facing a lot of challenges due to recurrent droughts and floods’
- Agriculture sector is facing a lot of challenges due to recurrent droughts, floods and weather-related changes.
- At present, one third of global production is lost or wasted annually which is enough to feed two billion people for a year.
- Around 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and undernutrition remains widespread with some 2 billion people lacking essential nutrients like iron, zinc and vitamin A.
- According to a U.N.’s FAO estimate, world food production must rise 60 per cent to keep pace with the demographic change.
- Whereas the International Panel on Climate Change predicts that crop yields may decline by 10-20 per cent by 2050.