Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: FASTags
Mains level: Reducing logistics cost in Road Transport
Trucks can ferry 20-25% more weight
- The Transport Ministry has raised safe limits for axle weight for transport vehicles by 20-25%.
- The revised axle limits will be applicable to new vehicles.
- The move will help reduce logistics costs by 2% and attempts to bring norms at par with international standards.
- The Ministry has also proposed to dispense with fitness certificate for new vehicles and make it mandatory to have vehicle tracking system and FASTags for electronic toll collection for all commercial vehicles in its draft amendment to the Commercial Motor Vehicles Act.
- The amendments also proposed that a driving license and pollution certificates can be carried in physical or digital form.
- FASTag devices employ Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to make toll payments from the prepaid account directly linked with it.
- The windscreens of the vehicles are fitted with it.
- It enables the four-wheelers to drive through the toll plazas without having to wait for cash transactions at the toll.
- A separate lane will be dedicated for such FASTag users.