- Context: Application of BS-VI emission norms
- The Centre has notified the Bharat Stage (BS)-VI emission standards for two-wheelers and four-wheelers from April 2020 across the country
- With this, the government has decided to skip the BS-V emission standards and move directly to BS-VI from the BS-IV norms currently being followed in various cities
- Automobile makers have urged the government to make available the testing BS-VI compliant fuel a year sooner across the country
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has given the Union Petroleum Ministry four years to make BS-VI fuels available to auto companies
- Oil companies will be investing more than Rs.60,000 crore towards BS-VI fuels
Discuss: What are Bharat Stage norms? What will be the impact of implementing BS-VI norms by skipping BS-V on different sectors of economy & environment?