From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Renukaji Dam
Mains level: Not Much
- Union Water Resources Ministry has signed an agreement with the CMs of Haryana, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan for the construction of a Renukaji multipurpose dam project.
Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project
- The dam is conceptualized as a three-way project to be constructed along the Yamuna and two of its tributaries, the Tons and Giri.
- The project envisages construction of 148-metre high rock-filled dam for supplying 23 cubic metres per second water to Delhi and other basin states.
- Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh are the two states involved.
- The projects were conceived in 2008. Most of irrigation cost and the drinking water component of these projects will be funded by the central government.
- The six beneficiary states would chip in with 10 per cent of the expenditure.
- The project is proposed to be executed by Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd.
- The project will also generate 40 MW of power and the Delhi government has agreed to fund 90% of the cost of the power plant.
- After the construction of the dam, the flow of river Giri will increase by about 110 per cent which will meet the drinking water needs of Delhi and other basin states up to some extent in the lean period.