Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: EESL, SLNP
Mains level: SLNP: its objectives and its implementation
- The Centre is likely to miss the goals it had set under the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP).
- As on date, it is implemented in all ULBs of 13 States and 1 Union Territory and partially in 11 other states and 3 UTs.
Street Light National Programme
- Under the SLNP, the Government aims to replace 3.5 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED lights.
- It has been launched on 5th January 2015 to convert conventional street and domestic lights with energy efficient LED lights.
- This would result in annual energy saving of 900 crore units and the total cost savings of municipalities every year will be Rs 5,500 crore.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited, a Public Energy Services Company under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India (GoI) is the implementing agency for SLNP.
- The program is to be implemented by the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).
Work in Progress
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited has installed over 76.77 lakh LED street lights in 28 States or Union Territories till January 3, 2019.
- But, the target under SLNP is to replace 1.34 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED street lights by March 2019.
- This goal is likely to be missed as a little over just half has been attained till now.
- SLNP has not been implemented so far in Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland and Meghalaya and Union Territories of Daman & Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep.