From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: CH-47 Chinook
Mains level: Enhancing fleet arsenal of IAF
- IAF has inducted four CH47 Chinook heavy-lift choppers .
- India has paid close to $ 1.5 billion for 15 of these helicopters which would be also used for deploying troops and machinery at high altitude locations.
- The Boeing CH-47 Chinook is an American twin-engined, tandem rotor, heavy-lift helicopter.
- It is among the heaviest lifting Western helicopters.
- Its name, Chinook, is from the Native American Chinook people of modern-day Washington state.
Salient features of the Chinook
- A multi-mission heavy-left transport helicopter, Chinook will be used to move troops, artillery, ammunition, barrier materials, supplies and equipment on the battlefield.
- It is highly maneuverable, which makes it suitable for operating in tough, dense terrain.
- Its 24X7, all-weather operational capabilities are crucial for India Air Force, which operates in some of the most hostile terrains in the world.
- Apart from military operations, they can also be used for medical evacuation, disaster relief, search and recovery, fire-fighting and civil development.
- It is capable of transporting fully-equipped infantry soldiers for specialised operations. It has fully integrated digital cockpit management system.
- The Chinook has the capacity to carry a maximum payload capacity of 11 tonnes and 45 troops.