From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Chandipura Virus
Mains level : Not Much
- Medical officers are on high alert after a 5 year old died of Chandipura Virus in Gujarat.
- The Chandipura virus was discovered by 2 Pune-based virologists of the National Institute of Virology (NIV) in 1965.
- The Chandipura Vesiculovirus (CHPV) predominantly affects children.
- The virus spreads mainly through the bite of sand flies and sometimes through mosquitoes.
- The symptoms include sudden high fever accompanied by headache, convulsions and vomiting, sometimes leading to unconsciousness.
- Cases have mostly been reported during monsoon and pre-monsoon, when sand flies breed.