From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Concerns raised by Belt and Road Initiative
- At Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, Chinese authorities were emphatic that ties between India and China were insulated from their differences on the BRI.
- China said that it is preparing for a summit between their leaders as a follow-up to last year’s Wuhan informal summit between Prez Xi Jinping and PM Modi.
- The two leaders had a very successful meeting in Wuhan in April 2018.
- Particularly, they established mutual trust and they jointly planned for the future of improvement and the strengthening of the China-India relationship.
- India and China were currently limiting the threshold of their differences so that overall development of ties remained unhampered.
- They agreed to significantly enhance efforts to build on the convergences through the established mechanisms in order to create the broadest possible platform for the future relationship.
- They agreed to handle the differences through peaceful discussion within the context of the overall relationship, bearing in mind the importance of respecting each other’s sensitivities, concerns and aspirations.
Belt and Road Initiative