Mains Paper3: Role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security.
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: Nothing Much
Mains level: The news card highlights the steps taken by China to secure internet and maintain cyber sovereignity.
Steps taken by China to secure Internet and maintain Strict Censorship
- Beijing has been ramping up measures to secure the internet and maintain strict censorship, a process that accelerated ahead of the party’s five-yearly National Congress that took place in October.
- China’s military launched a website inviting the public to report leaks and fake news, as well as illegal online activities by military personnel, the latest step in a push to ensure Communist Party control over the internet.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has made China’s “cyber sovereignty” a top priority in his sweeping campaign to bolster security.
- The new website is an effort to implement the guiding spirit of the Congress and will help maintain a “clear internet space” surrounding the military.
- Citizens are encouraged to use the platform to report online content that attacks the military’s absolute leadership and distorts the history of the military and the Communist Party.
- Cases of military personnel illegally opening online social accounts and publishing unauthorised information should also be reported, it said.