Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BeiDou Navigation Satellite System
Mains level: Particulars of the Chinese navigation system
- China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), touted as a rival to the widely-used American GPS, has started providing global services.
BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS)
- Named after the Chinese term for the ‘Big Dipper’, the BeiDou system started serving China in 2000 and the Asia-Pacific region in 2012.
- It will be the fourth global satellite navigation system after the US GPS, Russia’s GLONASS and the European Union’s Galileo.
- The positioning accuracy of the system has reached 10 metres globally and five metres in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Its velocity accuracy is 0.2 metres per second, while its timing accuracy stands at 20 nanoseconds, he said.
- Pakistan has become the first country to use the BeiDou system ending its reliance on the Global Positioning System (GPS).
What makes its special?
- The total number of satellite navigation patent applications in China has reached 54,000, ranking first in the world.
- More than 14,000 companies and organisations are doing business related to BDS, employing over 500,000 people.
- In China, about 6.17 million vehicles, 35,600 postal and express delivery vehicles, as well as 80,000 buses in 36 major cities, use BDS. T
- The system is also used in 3,230 inland river navigation facilities and 2,960 marine navigation facilities.