- Context: Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- Proposed amendment: (to the Citizenship Act, 1955) To grant citizenship to non-Muslim minorities from Muslim majority countries
- This includes Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan
- Criticism: Civil Society groups- it is a communally motivated humanitarianism
- How? By seeking to grant citizenship on the basis of religious denomination, it is blatantly in violation of the constitution
Discuss: What are the objectives of recently introduced Bill to amend certain provisions of the Citizenship Act, 1955? Point out the lacunae in the bill?