- The Paris Agreement to fight global warming came one step closer to taking effect when dozens of countries deposited their ratification of the deal at the United Nations
- The deal needs ratification by at least 55 countries representing 55% of global carbon dioxide emissions to take effect
- Now the total ratifications are 60 & represent more than 47.5% CO2 emissions
- 14 countries, representing 12.58% of emissions, have committed to joining the agreement in 2016
- This would allow the threshold of 55% of global carbon dioxide emissions to be reached
With reference to the Agreement at the UNFCCC Meeting in Paris in 2015, which of the following statements is/are correct? [Prelims 2016]
1- The Agreement was signed by all the member countries of the UN and it will go into effect in 2017
2- The Agreement aims to limit the greenhouse gas emissions so that the rise in average global temperature by the end of this century does not exceed 2 °C or even 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels.
3- Developed countries acknowledged their historical responsibility in global warming and committed to donate $ 1000 billion a year from 2020 to help developing countries to cope with climate change.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3