From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Coastal DEM
Mains level : Flood control and management in India
- The number of Indians who stand to be affected by rising sea levels may have been underestimated by as much as 88%, according to a study.
- CoastalDEM is a new software which uses more variables — vegetation cover, population indices — to estimate the actual land surface affected by floods.
- Estimates on the risks posed by flooding rely on detailed maps of the globe taken by the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) of NASA.
- It was a radar mapping system that travelled aboard the space shuttle Endeavour in 2000.
- The maps so prepared form the basis for determining the elevation of the earth’s topography.
Flood risk in India
- In India, 36 million people would face annual flooding by 2050 and 44 million by 2100 if emissions continue to rise unabated.
- Nearly 21 million — and not 2.8 million — are expected to be living below the High Tide Line, the boundary that marks the farthest to which the sea reaches into the land at high tide.