Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the OECD and the NATO.
Mains level: Colombia is the only country in Latin America with this privilege of joining the NATO.
New member at the NATO
- Colombia has formally joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- Colombia joined the ranks of Afghanistan, Australia, Iraq, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mongolia, New Zealand and Pakistan
The OECD is also inviting Colombia
- The announcement(of joining the NATO) was made on the same day that the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) said that Colombia would be officially invited to join the group
- The Paris-based economic organization(OECD) was founded in 1961 and has traditionally included industrialized nations, though in recent years it has extended its membership to emerging economies
Particulars of the NATO
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries based on the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949
- NATO constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party
- NATO Headquarters are located in Haren, Brussels, Belgium, while the headquarters of Allied Command Operations is near Mons, Belgium