Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level:Industry 4.0
Mains level: Artificial Intelligence (AI) for development across various fields.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has constituted a Task Force chaired by V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras to explore possibilities to leverage Artificial Intelligence (AI) for development across various fields.
- The ‘task force on AI for India’s Economic Transformation’ will submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government, industry and research institutions
- It will have official participation from NITI Aayog, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Department of Science & Technology, UIDAI and DRDO.
- She said driven by the power of big data, high computing capacity, artificial intelligence and analytics, Industry 4.0 aims to digitise the manufacturing sector.
- The move comes in the backdrop of the government reviewing the manufacturing and industrial policies.
- The term “Industry 4.0” denotes the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- It includes the digital transformation of the entire value chain process involved in the traditional manufacturing and production methods.
Key Features and Benefits
They key features and benefits of Industry 4.0 are as follows:
- It will immensely improve the operational efficiency and facilitate remote management.
- The manufacturing industry fuelled with software driven services and innovation in hardware would increase the variety of products.
- Collaboration between humans and machines can produce unprecedented results in terms of productivity and quality of products.
- It has huge potential to raise the income levels and quality of life of people around the world.