- What: Cyclone Nada, a cyclonic storm weakened into a deep depression and is now expected to cross the Tamil Nadu coast early Friday morning south of Cuddalore.
- Context: The cyclone was expected to bring the much needed rain to the Tamil Nadu coast after an extremely poor northeast monsoon season.
- Despite not living up to its billing, the rainfall has raised hopes of samba paddy farmers in certain parts of the delta districts.
Need for regional forecast centres
- There’s the need to revisit our forecast models, and fine tune model parameters.
- We need more focused regional forecasts, for corrective action both on the ground and in policy.
- Regionally-focused rainfall forecasts can boost the market for weather futures here.
Chennai is increasingly facing the threat of a water shortage in the wake of a poor North-east monsoon season. Read up on the phenomenon of north-east monsoon and why it was below average this season.