Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the NAMIS
Mains level: The procurement, of the NAG missile system, is a big boost to Make in India initiative(in the defence sector).
Military procurement approved
- The Defence Ministry has approved military procurement worth Rs. 3,687 crore, which includes anti-tank guided missile NAG for the Army and long-range guns for the Navy
- The proposals were cleared at a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister
- The NAG missile system(NAMIS) will be procured for the Army at a cost of Rs. 524 crore
Particulars of the NAMIS
- The NAMIS includes a third generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile, the NAG, along with the Missile Carrier Vehicle (NAMICA)
- The NAG missile is a third generation anti-tank guided missile, which has top attack capabilities that can effectively engage and destroy all known enemy tanks during day and night
- This will give a quantum boost to the Army’s capability against enemy armour
- The MOD cleared the procurement of 300 Nag missiles and 25 modified BMP-2 ‘NAMICA’ carrier vehicles
- Last year, the government had cancelled a proposed $500 million deal with Israel to procure over 8000 Spike ATGMs
- The project was scrapped due to DRDO’s contention that it could deliver its NAG ATGM within four years